Skip to main content

Why #4

 ******TRIGGER WARNING: Physical and emotional abuse, violent language/slurs**********


If you walked by me in the halls of my high school in 1999/2000 you probably wouldn’t know I was there. And trust me, I was hard to miss: Neon green Mohawk, bright red shoes and black shirt and shorts. Against the maroon and white bricks and lockers, I was definitely a sore thumb. Those who did notice me were the popular kids. The football players. The cheerleaders. Wasn’t I the lucky one? They even gave me cool nicknames: Faggot, loser, fatty, chunk, and....you get the idea. 


That year I remember talking to a teacher about how I felt; a far stretch for a shy kid like myself. That teacher told me “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.” So I did. I joined the football team. 


Excited, I suited up for my first practice ready to take on the world. But what I had done was take the target that was always on my back and replaced it with a name and number. I was abused, beaten, and humiliated. The locker room was a war zone. 


After making it through two practices, I was done. I couldn’t take it anymore. I walked out of the locker room and never returned. I made my way through the lobby of the high school and I suddenly felt two hands pushing on my back. I fell facedown. 


As I stood up the members of the football team emptied the locker room and circled around me. As I stood there, I looked and saw the “can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” teacher standing and looking at me from behind the wall of people. I saw the football coach, my favorite teacher, and hundreds of other students. Words like “fag” and “loser” echoed through the lobby. One player looked at me, grabbed me by the backpack straps, and said “we heard you spit in the water bottles? __ told us you spit in the water bottles?” He then spit directly in my face. Every member of the football team then followed suit. 


Spit after spit, I locked eyes with the “beat ‘em/join ‘em” teacher. He did nothing. I looked to the football coach. He did nothing. I looked at my favorite teacher with tears and fear in my eyes. He did nothing. 


At this point, I should mention that these three people--the “beat ‘em/join ‘em” teacher, the football coach, and my favorite teacher--are the same person; someone I knew and trusted. 


I stood there for what felt like hours getting spit on and getting punched in the back, stomach, and head. Spit dripped from my glasses and blood poured from my nose. I feared for my life. One by one, they got bored and walked away until I stood there, soaked in spit, crying, and surrounded by my peers. Alone. 


I finally got the courage to move. As I walked through the crowd, they parted and stared. I made my way to the front office and sat in a chair in front of the principal. After explaining to him what had just happened, I was told that “boys will be boys”. 


I know now that no one from the school ever contacted my parents, even though a handful of teachers witnessed the event and it was reported to my principal. 


I don’t tell this story for attention or for comments or reactions: I tell this story because I know I’m not alone. 


It took me 20 years of fear and anguish to even be comfortable with my true self. It has taken me 20+ years to truly discover who I am. 20+ years to find the courage to put this in words. I know there are so many others that still have years to go before they might be able to reflect. And some that will never get that chance. 


When I moved here to Buckfield I noticed very quickly that these same forms of bullying and discrimination were happening...but by adults. Leaders. Prominent members of our community. And I could not sit back and let this happen. I had to speak up. 


We as a community need to put an end to bullying, bigotry, and discrimination. We need children to feel safe in our schools. We need people of all shapes, sizes, colors, backgrounds, genders, orientations, ethnicities, and lifestyles to be equal and safe in our community. 


My path was forever changed after that day and not a day goes by that I don’t think about that moment and how so many people did nothing. I won’t sit back and let that happen. I won’t sit back and not do anything. Not anymore. And that’s why I stand with Equity Buckfield.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why #6

It has taken me a while to be able to articulate why I am a part of Equity Buckfield. As a white Christian female “of a certain age,” I am aware of my privilege in society and have struggled to accept that I am indeed privileged. What does privilege mean? To me, it means that when I hear people say “I am so tired of hearing about gay/trans/POC/ or any other people’s rights” this means they can turn off thinking about it and get angry when they have to think about it. Not hearing or thinking about these things are easy for someone who thinks none of it affects them.   I am a long-time feminist; you could say I am the feminist Rush Limbaugh warned you about. No, I don't hate men. I am married to one. But as a mother and grandmother, I worry that hard-fought women's rights are under attack. But now this is not my only worry. The rights of any group of people who feel afraid is and should be a worry for all of us.   I grew up here hearing racist, homophobic hateful comments often.

Why #7

  “I’m here as a Christian, as a parent, as a former conservative Republican, and as a community member who loves my small town. My faith instructs me to love my neighbor as myself. My love for my town compels me to recognize its faults and try to make it better. My experience as a parent reminds me daily that every human being is someone’s child.  Since becoming a parent, I have watched crying children be intentionally ripped from their parents’ arms at the southern border; learned of the horrific suicide rates of transgender teens; and watched George Floyd beg for his mother as he took his final breaths. I started to realize the ways in which my own ignorance was contributing to these horrors. I began to imagine what it would feel like to be a mother at the southern border, or the mother of a transgender child, or the mother of a Black man murdered at the hands of the police. I committed to listen. I was raised colorblind and taught that Pride flags were unnecessary celebrations of s

Why #1

  My (white) father was in the Air Force and stationed in Alaska. He had the good fortune to be invited to go whale hunting with the Inupiaq in Kotzebue. As they came back to shore, my father saw my beautiful mother standing by the water and fell in love. They married and traveled around the world thanks to dad's job in the Air Force. My family finally settled in Maine. We still moved throughout Maine in my younger years, making it difficult to make connections. At one school I was called a "n*gger" by a fellow student and went home to ask my sister what it meant. At another school, I had no friends and usually spent recess sitting by myself. I was always aware that I was different. In addition to being half Inupiaq, I was also coming to terms with being gay. Eventually, we moved to a tourist town where we stayed until my high school graduation. I was one of maybe ten people of color in my school. Lovingly, my friends would call me "Lil' Eskimo." I felt like